NYC 2022 | The Journey Begins



It's officially time! Fourteen adults and two children (and two dogs!) met at the church on Monday afternoon to send Kennedy, McKinley, and Melissa off a nearly two-week cross-country adventure to National Youth Conference in Fort Collins, Colorado. After loading up suitcases and praying over the group, our trio said their good-byes and drove up the road to Roanoke. Since they need to be on the bus by 8:30 on Tuesday morning, they are spending the night at the home of the Virlina District bus coordinator, Tara Riddle. Tara not only opened her home to the Fraternity youth, but also cooked dinner — spaghetti and meatballs!

We caught up with our youth on Monday evening for a quick pre-trip chat:

What is something that you are looking forward to on the trip?
McKinley: I am looking forward to seeing all the major sights and growing in my relationship with God.
Kennedy: I'm looking forward to seeing all the sights.
Melissa: I'm looking forward to spending time with Kennedy and McKinley and sharing this experience with them.

What is one thing that you'll miss about home?
McKinley: I'll miss my dogs.
Kennedy: I will miss my Boonie boy (dog).
Melissa: I am NOT going to miss being at work for two weeks.

What are three things that you definitely made sure to pack?
McKinley: I made sure to pack a fan, clothes, and my chargers.
Kennedy: I made sure to pack clothes, a Bible, and games to play on the road.
Melissa: Even though I won't miss being at work, I did make sure to pack my work laptop so I can keep up with things. However, I'm still hoping to be able to disconnect and spend some quality time with God.


Kennedy, McKinley, and Melissa after arriving in Roanoke

We're also hoping that everyone will be able to disconnect and spend some quality time with God, while also getting to experience new things, make new friends, see incredible sights, and make memories that will last a lifetime. What a journey! Thanks to each of you for following along — and more importantly, thanks for remembering our youth in your prayers throughout the next 12 days.

P.S. To keep up with where our youth are each day, view the full trip itinerary here. (Here's a preview: our trio will travel across four states on Tuesday alone: Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Indiana!).

P.P.S. To receive blog updates via email, sign up here.

Comments